- Kenyan kalimba finger piano
- eco-friendly; made from discarded wood
- 6.5 inches by 2.5 inches and 1.5 inches deep
- "Keys" are discarded tin with colorful loops of tin that reverberate as the instrument is played
- As a handmade item each piece will have variations in design
This product contains small parts and is not suitable for young children.
Who made this?
Working with more than 100 individual carvers in Machakos, Kenya, Jedando Modern Handicrafts markets African handicrafts primarily made of wood and bone worldwide. Carving is a tradition in Kenya with the children learning the craft from their parents. Carved by hand using only rudimentary hand tools, olive wood bowls, salad serving sets, and animal-shaped napkin rings take shape from pieces of olive wood, mahogany, and mpingo, or "African Ebony."
An integral part of the organization's function is to educate the craftspeople on the need for reforestation to enable the products to be available for years to come and offer a sustainable income for generations. While wood carving provides the major income for many in the Machakos area, other craftspeople earn a living by further enhancing the products including painting the napkin rings and carving discarded animal bone for the handles of salad serving sets. Often the bone is "batiked" by placing wax on the white bone and dipping the bone a dark brown/black dye, resulting in patterns African mud cloth designs.
Just 2 easy steps . . .
- click here to add gift wrapping for $2.
- if desired, enter a personal gift note in the "notes to seller" section at checkout
- kick back and relax because you're not wandering the aisles or standing in a post office line!
We've got you covered, friends: we'll wrap and ship all your gifts for you. Just like the big free shipper, only small business + ethical!
Send beautiful, unique gifts right to the recipients doorstep! Check out our other gifts and shop for all your gift needs here at Do Good Shop. We'll wrap and ship all the gifts for you!
*Please make a new order for any gifts going to different addresses.
Your purchase of this quality, one-of-a-kind gift empowers survivors of oppression through ethical, living wage artisan employment.
With every order you fight against . . .
- sex trafficking
- modern day slavery
Learn more about the purpose, mission, and vision of this social justice, 501c3 nonprofit marketplace here: Do Good Shop.